NFHS Football Rule 1.6
Here is a quick overview of NFHS Rule 1.6 “Cocahes’ Field Equipment“. Rule 1.6 covers the use of technology like sideline replay and tablet based play books during high school football games. The NFHS football rules apply in most states. Be sure to check with your school’s athletic director along with your state and local football association to clarify the rules where you play.
When is it legal for coaches to use communication devices (iPads and other tablets) during games?
- To communicate with players when both the coach and players are on the sideline (off the playing field).
- To communicate with players when the players are between the sideline and 9-yard marks as in the diagram below.
- During a conference with players inside the 9-yard marks, ONLY coaches are allowed to use tablets.
When are coaches not allowed to use communication devices (iPads and other tablets)?
- It is illegal for a coach on the sidelines to use iPads to communicate with players inside the 9-yard marks, see the diagram below.
- It is illegal for a coach to use iPads to communicate with players during a conference inside the 9-yard marks as in the diagram below.
If you have questions about using video technology for football or to speak with a sales rep, give us a call (800) 280-3512.
[pl_button type=”primary” size=”large” link=”../information-request/”]Contact Us[/pl_button]